Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
If you recently retire or are soon to be out of a group plan, you may be searching for the best health insurance for seniors in Ontario.
In this article, we’ll talk exactly about the different health insurance plans after 65 in Canada.
While government-funded healthcare systems provide a safety net for citizens, they often fall short in terms of coverage. This is where individual health insurance comes in. These plans are designed to complement your existing provincial coverage and can include things like dental, vision care, and prescription drugs.
As we age, our health needs change and it becomes increasingly important to have the right health insurance plan in place. Most seniors, lose access to health insurance when they finally retire from work as obviously, they’re no longer part of a group plan or when they turn 70 years of age.
When choosing a supplemental health care plan, it is important to consider your needs and budget.
In this article, we will be discussing the top 5 best health insurance for seniors in Ontario, Canada.
Health Insurance for Seniors in Canada
Health and dental insurance are important for many reasons. First, they can help you pay for medical services that aren’t usually covered by OHIP. Second, they can give you peace of mind in knowing that you’re covered in case of an emergency physical or dental pain. Third, they can help you stay healthy by providing access to preventive care.
Finally, they can help you save money as health insurance plans usually covers between 70% to 90% (depending on your plan) of the costs.
There are a number of health insurance plans available with Manulife, but two of the most popular are Manulife’s Flexcare and FollowMe plans. Both plans offer comprehensive coverage for a wide range of health services, including hospital stays, prescriptions, and physician visits. In addition, both plans offer seniors the opportunity to add on optional coverage for things like vision care and travel insurance. Ultimately, the best health insurance plan for a senior will depend on their specific needs and budget. However, both Manulife’s Flexcare and FollowMe plans offer seniors a solid foundation of coverage at a reasonable price.
FollowMe Health - Health Insurance for Seniors
•FollowMe Health is designed to offer comprehensive health and dental coverage for individuals and their families when group coverage ends.
• Clients are guaranteed acceptance upon receipt of premium payment if they apply within 90 days of their group health benefits ending.
• FollowMe Health is for retirees, individuals in between jobs, or anyone looking for a robust health plan.
• Manulife Vitality offers clients a way to improve their health and save money on premiums.
FlexCare Health & Dental Insurance
•FlexCare Health & Dental Insurance offers seven different plans to choose from, all with varying levels of coverage.
• The policy cost will depend on the amount of coverage selected, who is being covered, and the type of coverage needed.
• FlexCare provides additional benefits such as prescription drug discounts and medical equipment coverage.
Ontario Blue Cross
Blue Cross is a Canadian health insurance provider with a long and storied history. Founded in 1947, Blue Cross has been a leader in providing comprehensive and affordable health insurance coverage to Canadians for over 70 years. Today, Blue Cross continues to specialize in making sure their plans help those who need them the most, whether it’s seniors, families, or individuals.
Here’s a brief overview of Blue Cross’s history in Canada.
Blue Cross provides a range of insurance plans to meet the varied needs for healthcare coverage. They offer everything from dental and life policies all the way up through international travel assistance packages, which can come in handy if you ever need help getting back home after an accident or illness abroad!
In Ontario, Blue Cross offers two different health insurance plans: the Health and Dental Plan and the Extended Health Care Plan. The first is designed to cover basic needs like dental and vision care, while the latter can be customized to cover a broader range of services such as prescription drugs, home care, and more.
No matter which plans you choose, you can be sure that you’re getting comprehensive coverage from a company with over 75 years of experience.
Some of the key benefits are:
•Blue Cross offers affordable, guaranteed medical plans for seniors that do not require a medical exam.
• The type and amount of health coverage you need depend on your circumstances and state of health. Blue Cross has experienced agents who can help you determine what kind of coverage is best for you.
• Health insurance for seniors is more important than ever before due to cuts in provincial health care programs. A health insurance plan from Blue Cross protects your health, your family, and your finances.
• Blue Cross’ insurance plans cover dental visits, drug costs, hospital rooms, vision care, paramedical expenses, nursing care
Ontario BlueCross offers three health benefits tiers that is sutiable to seniors:
- Entry (60%)
- Essential (70%), and
- Enhanced (80%)
Group Medical Services - GMS
GMS was opened in 1949 and is known for its focus on wellness. They offer health insurance for seniors in Ontario, and their focus on wellness means that they’re always looking for ways to improve the health of their members. With its commitment to wellness, GMS is an excellent choice for seniors looking for health insurance in Ontario.
If you’re losing your group health insurance coverage, GMS offers three replacement plans to help you stay covered. Whether you’re looking for an individual or family plan, GMS have options to meet your needs. Their replacement health coverage is designed to be flexible and affordable, so you can keep peace of mind knowing that you’re covered.
Replacement Health Coverage
If you’re looking for replacement health coverage, GMS offers a variety of options to choose from. Whether you’re a senior citizen or a recent graduate, we have a plan that’s right for you.
The Basic Plan is GMS’ most popular personal health coverage plan. It includes coverage for hospitalization, prescription drugs, vision care, and more. This plan is ideal for seniors who are looking to protect themselves from unexpected emergencies and health needs.
The ExtendaPlan is GMS’ more comprehensive personal health coverage plan compared to their Basic offer. It includes everything in the Basic Plan, plus extended coverage for things like dental care, chiropractic services, and more. This plan is perfect for seniors who want peace of mind knowing that they’re covered for most extended health services that they need.
The OmniPlan is GMS’ premium personal health coverage plan. It includes everything in the Basic and ExtendaPlans, plus
additional coverage for things like out-of-country medical emergencies and home care services. This plan is ideal for seniors who want the best possible coverage.
GMS offers a wide range of health and wellness coverage plans to meet the needs of every Canadian senior citizen. From travel insurance to student insurance, they have you covered. Their personal health coverage plans are designed to provide comprehensive protection at an affordable price.
Sun Life Financial
When it comes to health insurance, Sun Life Financial is another great option for seniors in Ontario. They offer health and dental coverage, and you can’t get dental coverage on its own. You’ll have to take the health insurance coverage too, but the product offerings in each of those combined plans are very attractive.
The health insurance offered by Sun Life is comparable to others on this list. It’s laid out in easy-to-understand terms, which is helpful, especially if you tend to get confused when it comes to insurance.
You have three health insurance options to choose from with Sun Life. They call these Personal Health Insurance and Health Coverage Choice: Basic, Standard, and Enhanced Plans.
Personal Health Basic Plan
Sun Life offers a basic personal health insurance plan that is perfect for those who need coverage but are not employed or do not have group coverage. The plan is designed to be easy to budget for, with the insured only responsible for 60% of the premium amount. It also covers prescription drugs and preventive dental care, with an annual maximum of $750 and $500 respectively. In addition, smokers are eligible for smoking cessation drugs to help them quit. This makes Sun Life’s health insurance an ideal option for those in need of coverage.
Some of the key benefits include:
– Prescription drug and preventive dental care coverage
– No health questions or medical exams are required
– Smokers are eligible for smoking cessation drugs
– Coverage for those who are not employed or do not have group health insurance
– Affordable premiums
Personal Health Standard Plan
The Sun Life Personal Health Insurance Standard Plan is a great choice for those looking for comprehensive coverage. This plan includes several features that are not included in the basic plan, as well as features that are available in the basic plan. To be eligible for the standard plan, applicants must be under 70 years old and resident in Canada with provincial health care coverage. The standard plan includes features such as vision care, emergency medical travel, semi-private hospital room, prescription drugs, preventive dental care and many others. You will be reimbursed 70% of your first $7000 annual expenses but complete reimbursement for the next $93000 annual expenses will hold subsequently in prescription drugs. You can also claim up to $100000 in annual maximum of eligible expenses in prescription drugs.
Some of the key features of this plan include:
– Reimbursement for all hospital services including private or semi-private rooms (as per availability), nursing services and meals
– Coverage for diagnostic tests and screenings such as x-rays and MRIs
– Coverage for surgeries and treatments performed by a specialist surgeon
– Coverage for physiotherapy and chiropractic services
– Prescription drug coverage with no deductible or co-insurance
– Dental coverage for preventative, routine, and major dental services performed by a licensed dentist
– vision care benefits cover the cost of an annual eye exam and a pair of glasses or contact lenses every two years
Personal Health Enhanced Plan
The Personal Health Enhanced Plan is a health insurance plan that offers its members access to higher prescription drugs, as well as restorative and orthodontic services. The plan reimburses 80% of the first $5000 on annual expenses, as well as 100% of subsequent $245,000 annual expenses on prescription drugs. Reimbursement of any money spent on supplemental healthcare also applies. This includes a total reimbursement of money spent on paramedical practitioner services up to $400 in a year and money spent on vision care up to $200 in 2 years. You can also have access to emergency medical care on the first 60 days of your trip but you can also access $1 million lifetime maximum claims on emergency travel.
The Health Enhanced Plan is a great option for those who are looking for comprehensive coverage. The plan covers a wide range of services and offers its members access to high-quality care. The plan is also very affordable, with a low monthly premium and a reasonable deductible. If you are looking for an insurance plan that will cover all of your bases, the Health Enhanced Plan is definitely worth considering.
Some of the key benefits include:
•The Personal Health Enhanced Plan provides the insured access to higher prescription drugs, as well as restorative and orthodontic services.
• The plan reimburses 80% of the first $5000 on annual expenses as well as 100% of subsequent $245,000 annual expenses on prescription drugs.
• Reimbursement of any money spent on supplemental healthcare also applies. This also includes a total reimbursement of money spent on paramedical practitioner services up to $400 in a year and money spent on vision care up to $200 in 2 years.
• You can also have access to emergency medical care on the first 60 days of your trip but you can also access $1 million lifetime maximum claims on emergency travel.
Health Choice A
The Health Cover Choice plan is an insurance plan that’s perfect for those who have recently lost group insurance coverage. It’s a great option for those who need replacement insurance coverage because there are no medical requirements involved in the application process. Plus, applicants must have provincial health care coverage.
Some of the features that are included in the plan are preventive dental care and supplemental health care services. These are just some of the reasons why the Health Cover Choice plan is a great option for those who need replacement insurance coverage.
There are many reasons why you should consider the Health Cover Choice plan if you’re in need of replacement insurance coverage. First, as mentioned above, there are no medical requirements involved in the application process. This means that you can apply for the plan even if you have preexisting medical conditions.
In addition, the Health Cover Choice plan includes preventive dental care and supplemental health care services. These services can help you save money on your overall healthcare costs. And finally, applicants must have provincial health care coverage. This means that you can apply for the Health Cover Choice plan even if you don’t have a job or aren’t currently employed.
Some of the key benefits are:
•Health Cover Choice is a perfect plan for people who will be losing their group insurance coverage due to retirement or quitting a job, as well as those who have already lost their group insurance within the last 60 days.
• This plan provides sufficient insurance coverage to replace your group benefits, and applicants must not be older than 74.
• No medical requirement is involved during the application process, however, it is required that applicants have provincial health care coverage.
• The Health Cover Choice plan includes features such as preventive dental care and also supplemental health care services such as accidental dental care, ambulance, hearing aid, and so forth.
Health Choice B
Sun Life Health Choice B is a health insurance plan that provides a combined lifetime maximum of $250,000 on all benefits except for emergency medical travel and dental coverage. The plan also includes a Sun Life Health Savings Account, which can be used to pay for eligible health care expenses. Sun Life Health Choice B is an affordable way to provide coverage for yourself and your family.
Some of the key benefits are:
•The plan features a combined lifetime maximum of $250,000 on all the benefits involved in the plan with the exclusion of emergency medical travel and dental coverage.
• To be eligible for this plan, you and your family must reside in Canada at the time of application.
• Options included in this plan are prescription drugs, preventive dental care, and restorative dental care as well as supplemental healthcare such as accidental dental care, ambulance services, hearing aids, medical equipment and services, and in-home nursing.
• Other options include vision care and paramedical practitioner services.
• The Plan provides semi-private hospital room coverage and vision care.
Health Choice C
The Sun Life Health Choice C is the most comprehensive of the three health plans offered by Sun Life. It provides the highest level of coverage, with prescription drugs up to a $2000 annual maximum and emergency medical travel benefits. The plan also has a combined maximum benefit of $300,000, excluding dental and emergency medical coverage. This makes it the ideal choice for those who want the most comprehensive coverage possible.
•The Sun Life Health Choice C is the most comprehensive of the three plans and offers the highest level of coverage.
• The plan provides prescription drugs up to $2000 annual maximum and there is an option available for emergency medical travel.
• The benefits of this plan have a combined maximum of $300,000 excluding dental and emergency medical coverage.
The Canada Life Assurance Company
If you are looking for health insurance that will provide peace of mind for you and your loved ones, Canada Life is a great option.
Canada Life offers a wide range of insurance products, including health and dental insurance. Its health plans are designed to help insured individuals cover the costs of prescription drugs, extended health, and vision care. Dental plans, on the other hand, reimburse policyholders for a portion of their dental expenses.
The company also offers a number of different investment products, such as mutual funds and segregated funds. These products are designed to help Canadians save for retirement or other financial goals.
Book A Free Health Insurance Consultation
Book a free health insurance consultation today, and we’ll help you explore health insurance options that fit your needs and budget.
Here are some of the few advantages of consulting with an advisor when it comes to getting health insurance coverage:
1. Get tailored health insurance advice specifically for seniors in Ontario.
2. Booking a free consultation lets us help you find the best plan for your needs.
3. Talking to an insurance expert gets all your questions answered about your health insurance options.
4. Get peace of mind knowing that you have the right health insurance plan in place.
Take advantage of our free consultation service and see how much easier it is than trying to navigate health insurance on your own.